Saturday, 24 November 2012

The Cinema

Fancy a film?
Pick & Mix sweets

When we go out to see a movie in America, we usually say we're "going to the movies" or going to "see a movie". In London, however, they say they're "going to the cinema" or going to "watch a film". In the past couple of weeks, I've gone to "the cinema" twice - I've decided to splurge a bit because I'm only going to be in London a few more weeks! (I saw Argo, which I highly recommend, and Twilight...which I don't recommend at all.) Although going to the movies is nearly the same experience as in America, there are a few differences to look out for and consider when seeing a movie in London:


  1. Some of the theatres have "assigned seating", so when you purchase a ticket, you also choose where you're going to sit. 
  2. When you purchase popcorn, they ask you "Salty or sweet?". This means that they'll either put salt or sugar on it for you. 
  3. To my disappointment, the popcorn is much more plain. Don't expect much butter or salt, and don't expect to put on additional butter or salt yourself - they don't have side tables where you can add extra popcorn condiments. 
  4. The BEST part of London theatre is that they have a "Pick & Mix" candy section where you can fill a bag with as much candy as you want, and as many different kinds. (You're charged for the candy based on the weight of the bag, much like a candy shop in the US.) This section is fun for me because I'm able to try all of the signature English candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment