Sunday, 9 December 2012

And then the Fall - And then it Ended

Mica (Deputy SM), Macrina (Asst. SM), and me (SM) - Closing Night
The run for And then the Fall happened in an instant, and I feel that right as I was getting into the rhythm of the show, it ended!  We sold out nearly every performance, and each show ran smashingly. It boggles my mind how quickly this production has flown. Sometimes, it feels as if First Rehearsal was only last week. I've fallen in love with the cast and production team, and I'm not ready to leave them! (I fall in love with nearly every show I do, but most times I know that I'm going to see and/or work with the people again. This time, I have no idea if and when I'll see most of them.) Moreover, it's difficult to let go of a show after such a short run. The deputy stage manager's calling had finally been perfected and my backstage tracking had been worked down to a science. I felt as if the cadence of the show (from preshow preparation to closing duties) had finally reached its optimum level of efficiency, and then BOOM - it was over and done with.

Tomorrow morning is the "Get-Out" for the show (which is equivalent to a "Load-Out" in the US). My stage management team will be returning all props that we sourced from other theatre companies and completely cleaning the backstage area of the theatre. In a matter of a week, we will have put a show onstage and torn it down. Since this play is not scripted, and it was devised solely by and for the CDT (Collaboratie and Devised Theatre acting) class, it will never be performed again. In a way, it's incredible to think that I've been involved in a production that can never be paralleled.

No comments:

Post a Comment